Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Action Figures and Why I Write





As a kid, I played for hours with my action figures with my neighbor. I had a Boba Fett, several different types of Storm Troopers, a Luke Skywalker and a Darth Vader. My neighbor use to bring his toys, and he had the awesome gadgets. Besides having action figures, he had a whole slew of cool vehicles and other things such as robots that eyes that light up. We had epic fights and death-defying situations in the backyard of our own minds. The whole balance of our fantasy world was in our hands.

As things go, I got older and my toys became shelved in my closet. I was a teenager, and I started noticing girls and my whole world changed. One fine weekend, my mom's friends came for a house visit. They brought a little boy in tow with them. He seem to be bored listening to the grow-ups talk. My mom took me aside and asked me to give the kid, some of my action figures. I relented at first, but looking at the boy changed my mind. I gave him all the toys I had hidden away.

After high school, my friends and I went different ways. Some of them went too far colleges, and others just drifted away. I got to say it was a lonely time. Later while I was bored, I browsed inside a book store looking at the magazine's racks (I was not at that time a reader of books). I drifted down the aisles to the fiction sections. I bought a book by Terry Brooks and a Stephen King novel. My world of make-believe seemed to surface again except this time fiction horror and fantasy were my action figures. I became obsessed reading all the novels I could buy.

After I finish my first novel, I see my readers as the little boy bored and wanting some entertainment from their stressful lives. I want to impart to my dear readers a gift of exciting worlds and thrilling battles. Please let me take you on a journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment